Monday, January 16, 2012

Musings Monday: What does 'Deity' really mean?

Warning: This article is full of personal experience and speculation on heavy shit. Please don't take anything listed here as Real Fact for you, or Holy Writ. Thank you. (If you want to know yourself, go searching. You might not know what you'll find.)

I've been pondering the nature of Deity/God/Dess/Higher Powers/etc the past few days. I feel as though the way Deity is usually portrayed is an all-knowing, (usually good), creator/trix/etc that knows all, sees all, and can potentially affect all accordingly.

The more time I spend on the astral, talking to spirits, my guides, and my Shamanic gods, the more I think it goes against the very nature of soul and the fabric of the universe to have in existence an all-knowing all-seeing god/dess.

I think many people consider it from the human perspective, and I understand that. It's a comforting notion that humans, who comparatively know so little of the universe, can have contact with a being that has all the answers. It's like having a constant big brother/big sister, watching out for you.

But consider it from the perspective of the spirit. Imagine you are a deity who has infinite knowledge and power. You have literally learned all there is to know about everything. There is nothing left for you to know. For someone who assumes we live in order to learn and know (and I do believe that) if the fate of knowing everything befell me I would probably lose my desire for living. I would want to move on, to anywhere, to anything other than the current universe, if only because for someone like me knowing everything would be torture.

The existence of such a being goes against what I continually see being repeated as the nature of the soul and the nature of the universe itself.

This is why I rejected the idea of Heaven/Hell when I was Catholic. I found the idea of a 'paradise'--an unchanging world, waking up to the same exact thing every day, day in and day out, for eternity, a very distinct form of torture. Nothing stands still n the entire Universe. The Universe, some say, continually expands. The earth moves, the planets rotate, stars are born and die, black holes and white holes dance in a constant balance of life and death. Imagine a day in which nothing changed, ever. Now imagine living that, forever. (Or maybe that's just Hell for an Aquarius with a Taurus moon, eh?)

What if I proposed to you, that every being you interact with--human, Deity, God/Dess, Spirit guide, Totem, or Teacher--was on the same journey as you. What if I told you the nature of the soul is to expand, to evolve, in a constant outward and inward journey. What if I proposed the only difference between you and your Guide is your guide probably has several to several hundred lifetimes of expanding on you. But that's it.

I see the soul like this: a soul is made up of several facets. You can have 2 or 200, but the soul continually splits itself into 'facets'. And even if your soul is on this earth right now, learning as a human, you may have a facet that is serving as Guide for someone else.

What if, what a Deity is, is a simple animal, human, or other sort of soul or facet (or even the humblest of humble land spirits) that learned and evolved so much that the Deities that came before it helped it to 'ascend' to the next level? This also calls into question the principle of belief. I'm a fan of the theory that, if you have invented it, it already exists somewhere on the astral. I've also always been a fan of if you get enough believers to put energy behind something -- such as a small town God that becomes powerful via believers (See Terry Pratchett's book "Small Gods" for this concept in hilarious, and sometimes terrible, action) then that thing can exist in its own right. I think if you performed a ritual for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and you truly believed he existed, I would not be surprised if the ritual worked. (I'm not sure what this means for how I think things come into existence yet, these are only hypothetical considerations.)

Of course, this is implying there is an end state. This is implying Deities (and every soul) eventually reach a point at which they're ready to evolve, and go on the next level. Can, then, a Deity "die"? I would say it's definitely possible. Though the better word is probably "evolve". What, then is left behind? Is the succession of religion on Earth based, literally, on the "deaths" of Gods? Who, then, steps up to take their place? Is this, then, the same as when we don't want loved ones to go? Some people believe if we continue to contact the dead person it impedes their moving on. Does anyone ever wonder if Gods want to be worshiped? If a God, in theory, is ready to move on--is worshiping them like clinging to someone who just wants to go?

These are the things I have been thinking the past few days. Feel free to share thoughts on any and all theories. (or your opinions as well)

3 comments:

  1. Don't you dare question my spaghetti god. he provides me with abundance, good and plentiful! hahaha.
    You already know my thoughts align with yours, but enjoy the post as per usual <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all seriousness I don't think it diminishes the Grandeur of a God to admit it's possible they're fallible or don't know everything---but you know that already :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imo that would only add to their "grandeur" if they are accepting of all their own flaws.
    How could one instruct "flawed" beings if they themselves could not understand or have battled with that themselves?

    ReplyDelete