Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Poison Research: Master List

For every 2nd week of the Project, I'll be posting info on 2 poisonous herbs/plants/mushrooms/naturally occuring substance coinciding with the letter for that week. This is not me imparting High Wisdom; it's as much a research and learning experience for me, a rudimentary herbalist, as it is for those reading. Poisons are fascinating things; by working with their spirits we can traverse the Veil and back, but by taking advantage we can wind up in body bags. I have a lot of respect for poisons.

I am extremely interested in how poisons were utilized by witches and others in the Olden Days, as well. Most of you know some of the herbs I'm listing by their inclusion in Flying Ointments.

This post will be considered the "Master List" of my poison posts. Once a post for that poison has been made, I will link it back to this master post to make your (and my) lives a lot easier. List is subject to change, as well.

Note towards the end of the alphabet it was getting hard to find poisonous species. I am going to continue researching to find some for T and the other letters.

I don't have to tell you not to eat these, right? (Unless you're under the guidance of an Extremely Good Herbalist and are knowledgeable about the antidotes.)

You'll notice sometimes I took liberties and am posting a common herb/poisonous plant by its scientific name. That's because everything fit better that way. I'll be sure to be clear on which is which.

Here we go.

~A~
Aconitum (Monkshod, Wolfsbane, Devil’s Helmet)
Amanita muscaria (Fly Agaric Mushroom)


~B~
Bloodroot
Belladonna (Atropa Belladonna, Deadly Nightshade)


~C~
Calotropsis
Cicuta Virosa (Also known as Cowbane)


~D~
Daphne (Berries)
Deathcaps (Mushrooms)


~E~
European Spindletree

~F~
Foxglove

~H~
Henbane
Hemlock

~I~
Ivy (Poison)
Ignatius Beans

~J~
Jack in the pulpit
Jimson Weed (Thorn Apple)

~K~
Korf's Gyromitra

~L~
Lily of the Valley
Laburnum

~M~
Mountain Laurel
Mescal Buttons

~N~
Narcissus (Also known as daffodil)

~O~
Oleander
Ordeal Beans (Calabar Beans)

~P~
Poison Sumac
Poison Oak

~Q~
Quercus (Oak)

~R~
Rhubarb
Ragwort

~S~
Suicide Tree
Strychnine tree (Nux Vomica)

~T~
The sickener (Russula emetica, a mushroom)
Tiger Tricholoma (Mushroom)

~U~
Urtica Ferox (Ongaonga)

~V~ 
Veratrum viride (False Hellborne)

~W~
Webcap (Deadly)
Webcap (Fool's)

~X~
Xanthium (Cocklebur)

~Y~
Yew

~Z~
Zantedeschia (Calla Lilies)

2 comments:

  1. WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT CONSUME. MY AGARIC TEA IS THE BEST. Just kidddinggg. I have a really hokey remedies book but they do have some nice information on basic things you can do medicinally with plants. I'll bring it back to the apartment. LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING SUPER EDUMUCATED ON OUR POISONOUS FRIENDS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a GENIUS! I might have to borrow part of your idea and come up with something herbal(ish) for some of my posts.

    ReplyDelete