Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday Shenanigans: 5 (US) Stores You Didn't Know Were Pagan

Since I was out during the week at Homegoods and various other apartment/craft stores, I started taking photos of objects that could be used on altars/sacred spaces to prove it's completely possible to make an altar out of objects found in the most "vanilla" stores.

Hence, I present to you: 5 stores you didn't know were pagan.

Hey Greeks, wassup?

1. HOME GOODS

Home Goods probably has the most workable pagan altar shit of any store around me. From cheesy garden ornaments to Greek-esq statuary to giant Buddha heads and candles, they literally have it all. Add to that completely affordable candles, fake floral, and really gorgeous jars for storing shit, and you have a recipe for ridiculously awesome pagan shit. The statue above is waiting to be on a Greek altar. And her hands--offering area, anyone? It's like pagans run this place, I swear.



Frida travel altar I made for one of my Voodou friends.

2. MICHAEL'S/AC MOORE

Craft stores. Hate em or love em, they have probably the one thing I always use on my altars: blank wooden boxes.

You all remember my Bast/Anubis Samhain altar from my Altars post? $1.00 boxes from Michaels. Spraypainted shimmery gold. That's it. The box above was a dollar, spray-painted white and hand painted by me with red enamels. It's really easy to make nice boxes. Right now I'm in the process of woodstaining a box for Samedi and another for Frida. There is infinite variety when utilizing blank boxes. Stain, paint, burn, carve, whatever. Everything.

My beloved Deer figure.

3. JO-ANNS (or other fabric/decor stores)

Ah, my favorite. In a word: altar cloths. Lots of altar cloths. Or, if you're me, fake floral. And cheesy seasonal decorations (that you can make work with a little ingenuity.)


Bad phone pictures.

4. GOODWILL (OR THRIFT STORES)

Okay, you may have known about this one. Do you KNOW how much totally workable pagan shit gets left here every day? The above picture is what I found on one run, for a total of 6 whopping dollars. There is so much good pagan shit in thrift stores across the country it seems like a conspiracy. Check it out, really. Before you drop $70 on that pagan-specialty item.



5. SCIENCE/MUSEUM STORES

Okay, this one might be a little stretchy. But the next time you're at a Science-y or kids-friendly museum, check out the gift store. Whenever we go to the Franklin Institute or Academy of Sciences (both here in Philly) we always hit the gift store for stupidly cheap crystals. When I went to see the Cleopatra exibit at the Franklin, the gift store was decked out in Egyptian statuary. I got my small Bast statue there. If you have the fortune of living near the Smithsonian, the minerals gift shop has the nicest tumbled crystal spheres you have ever seen--but NOT for pagan-inflated prices. You'll find the less magical the store, the less costly the crystals...just a tip.

5 comments:

  1. Goodwill is the shit!!!! I got blocks of wax there for making candles, wooden chalices, altar cloths, I even bought a bag of sea salt from a Goodwill once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD WILL IS SO THE SHIT.

    Who else but a pagan drops off GIANT SHEAF OF WHEAT CANDLE HOLDERS? IT BLOWS MY MIND RIGHT UP. SERIOUSLY.

    I would marry good will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrift stores are my favorite stores. Ever. Besides Goodwill. There's a store called Barker's More 4 Less and they have the best selection (besides Goodwill!) of candles and candle holders - they vary from beeswax pillars that smell like roses to amazing shapes of votives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some great ideas! I was in Walmart last night and was hellbent on not buying stuff for our home from there! We have plenty of thrift stores, Home Goods, etc. I'm also trying to figure out a little something to have at my desk area at work. Great blog this week!
    @Mzdfy
    Mzdfy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome ideas! I use Joann's and Goodwill myself. Believe it or not, I actually got my black cast-iron altar cauldron at Goodwill! Yes, they actually had a CAULDRON! :)

    ReplyDelete