Saturday, March 10, 2012

Poisons Post: European Spindletree



European Spindletree

Scientific Name: Euonymus Europaeus
Folk/Common Names: Spindle, Common Spindle
Toxin Type: Alkaloid (Theobromine and caffeine, also terpene)
Toxicity Level: Fairly toxic, poisoning is most common in children, so probably slightly less so for adults.
Where is the Poison: The berries the plant produces are the worst concentration. Shoots of the plant are also toxic, especially to animals.
Symptoms:10-12 hours after ingesting the fruits/seeds, vomiting, diarrhea and other digestive symptoms present, along with heart rate elevation. If fatal, one can have convulsions and hallucinations along with paralysis of the digestive tract.

Interesting Fact: This tree has become an invasive species in the US after being introduced from Eurasia.

Folk Info: The tree gets its name from its very hard wood, which can be carved to make spindles for spinning wool.


BOTTOM LINE: SHOULD YOU BE WORRIED?
Just avoid the orange berries and you'll be fine.

BACK TO THE MASTER POISON LIST?

4 comments:

  1. WHY ARE POISONS SO PRETTY?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors
    IT Company India

    ReplyDelete