Saturday, March 24, 2012
Poisons Post: Foxgloves
Scientific Name: Digitalis (Suffix changes with species, this is the common name for all Foxglove plants)
Folk/Common Names: Foxglove(s), Dead Man's Bells
Toxin Type: Cardiac Glycosides
Toxicity Level: Pretty toxic. Ingesting even a small bit can be enough to stop a heart. Interestingly this plant is also toxic to almost all livestock animals.
Where is the Poison: In the entirety of the plant including seeds, but especially bad in the upper portion (leaves and stem included)
Symptoms: The usual stomach and digestive track pain (common with most poisons, if you've been reading my other posts) which naturally includes nausea and vomiting, which turns into hallucinations of a visual nature and delirium. The plant also can disrupt the heart and cause deathly tremors and convulsions.
Interesting Fact: The small extracts from this plant are also routinely formulated into heart medications to correct tremors and issues.
Folk Info: This is a lookalike for many tea herbs and has been the unfortunate end to many a confused tea-drinker.
BOTTOM LINE: SHOULD YOU BE WORRIED?
Yeah, avoid eating foxgloves.
BACK TO THE MASTER POISON LIST?
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. Stress and the Hunger Games movie saw to that. Cheers.