Friday, September 28, 2012

PBP 23: Spirits 101: Defense for Spiritwalkers (Part 1)


Realized dividing this into parts might make me get on them faster. Part 2 is going to deal more with Sigil magix/defense for the Self and other shit, alright?

So you have a slight ghost problem, but you can't move and you're having trouble keeping annoying things out? Have no fear, I'm compiling a list of things you can do.

In this part of defense for Spirit-Walkers:

Home Consecration/Cleansing!

-Sage Sticks and shit
-Handmade holy waters/ash combinations
-Black salt/homemade salt additives
-Crystal Grids

Home Defense!

-Warding for the Rest of Us

-Energetic alarm systems
-Energetic booby traps
-Sigils for trapping/forcing shit out
-House Spirit/Land Spirit Relationships

So you wanna know how to set up astral alarm systems for your house, eh? Good decision. Beyond basic wards and shit, astral alarm systems can be connected to booby traps and other such more aggresive methods to throw things off your property.

Wards will try to keep things out, but booby traps will react in case something succeeds in getting in. 

{Quick note here: These are all options you can utilize for protection. You don't NEED TO do all of these things at the same time, or at all. You can take what you want and alter them for your own purposes and so they fit with your own path and with your own deities. These are a framework for you to build on, so I'm giving you permission to go ahead and go nuts with 'em, okay? Okay.}


Home Consecration/Cleansing

Before you attempt to ward a property, even if you have a confirmed Spirit-Problem ON the property, cleansing the entirety is usually my step 1.

What can you use for cleansing?

I personally LIKE white sage, blue sage, and rosemary. Rosemary is highly protective and planting it on the property is a good idea.

If you want to dry blue sage or rosemary, clip it in the morning, before the heat of Summer comes on. You clean off the first inch at the bottom of the stalks, and you rubber band the bundles together. I personally dry mine inside plastic bags with the bottoms open to ensure a nice, slow dry and to stave off molds. Make sure they are TOTALLY dry when you bind them. Nothing like coming back a weak later and your shit is mostly mold and not plant.

Here's a good overview of how to bind your own sticks. I personally like to dry the herbs first though, for a better burn and because less air gets to the stick when it's wet so I am over cautious about mold. I also personally think rosemary from my own garden, from my own land is going to have more good vibes so to speak than a store bought thing, because the Land Spirit here knows the shit on my land. But that goes for anything, really.


And a photo of my herbs drying, woohoo.

If you're smoke sensitive or can't handle sage in general (IT'S A LOT OF SMOKE PEOPLE FOR REAL AND IT'S NOT REALLY THAT GREAT TO INHALE IT, BECAUSE IT'S -SMOKE-) there are other things I have done.

I burn things in my cauldron outside, protective shit, and let the smoke peter off. By protective shit I mean you can burn frank and myrrh incense or resins, or sage again if you WANT, (I do it outside so it doesn't bother me this way) but often I do a combo of written sigils on paper and herbs, for extra oomph. Then, I have added water to the ash and made it into a sort of paste with my hands, so I can dip my finger in the grayish paste and annoint doorways, windows, and etc with protective symbols.

The simplest I did was an "x", the most complex I've done was an entire protective sigil. Do what feels good.

So you don't want to do ash either? It's cool. You can make protective salts.

I'm a fan of use what you got. Don't have black salt or sea salt? Fuck it, use plain old salt. Intent is the name of the game, not Class A Witchcraft Materials. You can use salt by itself, to annoint doorways, make circles around the property, or keep on the altar as a drawing mechanism. That's totally fine.

You can add salt to water and use that water to combine with sage-ash or herbs ash to add another layer to the strength of your water-ash concoction too.

You can also take it another step and add things to your salt. I have added dried rosemary to my salt before, because of the protective qualities. You can stick a sigil inside a bowl of salt and let it absorb that energy from your sigil. If you're inclined to you can add bodily fluids to salt you'll scatter around outside the property. I personally don't because bodily fluids trigger my dysphoric body feels, but hey, it's definitely powerful, I won't deny you that.

If you're adding herbs to salt, generally speaking you stick it in a bottle or closed container for 2 weeks to a month to let it absorb the flavor (if you're into that) and energy. You can either leave the salt as it is or put it through a grinder for a very fine, good tasting salt after the 2 weeks/month is up. (Most people do this with Lavender, but it can be done with other herbs if you're not going explicitly for a tasty salt.)

Another generic cleansing method using nothing but rocks is Crystal Gridding. I made two posts on the topic here and here, in which I explain how to set one up, etc. But below I'll show you a grid I just tested/put together that's meant for protection against home invaders. Later when we get to energy alarm systems I'll show you how to test the grid to see if you have weak spots in your alarm system just be sensing your grid.


This particular grid is meant to cycle energy through the space, NOT a defense mechanism to trap or ensnare.

A lesser-known perhaps method is Sound Cleansing. You can use a bell, or a tibetan singing bowl, or chanting, etc to cleanse a space. Rattles, sistrums, these are all valid options. Singing bowls for instance when played produce this almost mind-altering, single note that rises into a single, loud crashing wave of sound. It's powerful stuff.

Alrighty, so at this point you house is all cleansed, amirite? Now you need to build a defensive foundation. This is where my methods get more hardcore than imaging-a-shield-around-your-house-of-light-default methods.

Home Defense

For Warding I'm first going to link you to The Twisted Rope, who I feel has done more warding then me personally, and then I'm going to show you how I tend to ward.

Warding is generally accepted as the process of preventing things from getting in/at you etc. It's like the fence around the property. A ward can be broken easier than a mutil-layered alarm system, if you ask me, but it's still smart just to put one up to insure from privacy.

When I put up basic warding in a place, I tend to bury or hide things at strategic points around the house. For instance, burying a Witch Bottle in the front yard meant to fend off intruders, you could say, is a form of warding. Warding could be likened to Preventative Medicine, you get me?

As you know I'm a Crystal fan. And in my current House I don't have access to all of the rooms to stratetically place things. What I DO have in places are strong wards in my room. Here are photos to explain them.


1. Elemental Sigil over the Mirror

This is a sigil I drew myself a few years ago that I love. In case you didn't realize, Mirrors are giant fucking Spirit-gateways, so if your mirrors are NOT warded, you should fucking do that. You need to control exactly what comes through, and how. I like to have sigils over both windows and mirrors because both of those things can be considered portals.


1a. Celin

This is my Fox skull, Celin. I usually have her right up against the mirror on her box (back to the mirror) because she specializies in neutralizing 'negative' entities and it saves me a lot of work. So in this case I am partnering with an existing Spirit to ward my room.


2. Graveyard Dirt

This was gifted to me. It's freely-given dirt with the Spirits more or less still attached by choice. The moment I put the jars on the altar I felt how much more enclosed my room felt. Like it had been too open and finally shut. This is likely because the one Spirit in particular acts as a protective entity to other, weaker Spirits. So I don't have to do anything, this just works as a ward.


3. Wall Sigil

This is an Astral defense sigil I streamed, called loosely the defense of the thousand eyes. As for what it does...read that name again. But I prefer to have one sigil/ward per wall if I can.


4. Crystal Grid (sometimes)

This is specifically a grid meant to ward off. For a warding grid you might incorporate nails or other not so nice objects to keep shit out.

5. Paper Mache Skulls

I don't have photos of these anymore, but we basically painted skulls like Sugar Skulls before to honor Spirits living in our apartment in Philly. (We made contact with them and they told us they were Hispanic, specifically Mexican, and they were the kindest old couple ever) Anyway the skulls sat facing the door on a little window ledge. They became an accidental ward. Leave a consecrated item alone long enough, and it's going to attract a Spirit. Our Spirits happened to be scary and loved eating weaker entities. Sooo...that worked out.

So even my wards are technically very complex. You can feel the difference when you walk into my room. I have multiple times had friends fall asleep on my carpet floor because the room acts as a relaxing energy pit.

Onward.

Energetic Fences, Alarm Systems & Booby Traps Explained

The part you've probably all been waiting for. How do you set up a fence/energetic alarm system on your property, how do you set up booby traps to default once the alarm system is triggered, and how can you test the system by using only a crystal grid?

Firstly this system should be used in addition to your generic wards/shields, because it's much easier to break a multi-layered defense than just wards.

Below is a diagram of a house, aight?


The x's represent places in which you will set up the alarm system/fence system. Visually what you're doing is creating an energetic invisible dog-fence, that will both repel and trigger shit to let you know something is wrong.

So the first way to set this up is by burying items at your specified points. If you want to get intense about it, buy enough pieces of hematite to bury one at each of your specified points. You can use herb bundles, gris gris bags, or talismans too. Whatever you deem fit. MARK THE POINTS, even with a large rock or something, because you might need to see where this shit is later. You need to do this in the immediate sense because the Fence isn't set up just by you burying shit.

If using different items, I like to make sure the points at North, South, East and West are particularly strong items. If you reference my Crystal Gridding post, these are acting like the frame or anchor because you're creating a giant sigil/field that is larger than your fucking house. Generally speaking you CAN make a fence with just 4 points, but that's minimum. However many you go OVER 4 is your decision.

It is possible to do this completely energetically without using items. The items are for your benefit, to bring you a point of focus to work on your points.

MAKE A MAP OF YOUR POINTS! Even roughly drawn, the map is needed for step two, at which point you can build your indoor grid.

So once your shit is buried and/or you have marked out equidistant points around your property, it's time to actually create the 'posts' of your fence. Imagine that this step is the equivalent to sticking single posts in the ground all around your property. So an incomplete fence. The 'cross bars' or the barked wire elements are added back inside.

This is how you visualize your fence-posts:

1. Ground and center your shit.

2. Stand in front of the North point in your yard/whatever. What I like to do is "feel" my hands around a large post in front of me. I use my hands to help me visualize. This post is unique to you. It can be large and thick like a ring of trees, or cool, square, and industrial like a futurisitc fence around military base. I like to make my posts TALL, as in taller than the roof. This gives me a better feeling generally.

3. "Feel" Energy from the ground/yourself/the astral flooding this single post in front of you. Astrally speaking, this is called "Flooding the boundary."

There are two steps to Astral energy creation: 1, Create a boundary for the energy. Like a blueprint of a shape you hold in your mind. 2, "Flood" the blueprint in your mind with energy. This makes it "Real".

4. Continue to flood this with energy until you feel it like a brick wall. Like it's super fucking solid. In your mind push on it. See how solid it is, how driven into the ground it is. Once you're sure it's to your liking, proceed clockwise around all of your points, creating a post at each point.

5. Once you're done creating posts and they feel very solid, it's time to proceed inside to actually join your posts together into a cohesive fence.

Take the handy map you made and place it in front of you. If you are a person that likes visual aids, you can actually construct for yourself "poles" on top of your paper map. So little train set dowls or something can work for this. You can never have enough visual aids.

I like to take my map and translate it to a crystal grid instead. If you have a place for the map permanently, that's the best. Place it somewhere it won't be disturbed but you can still use it. Practically speaking the map can be very small or large, depending on your needs.

Here's a photo of a hypothetical map I drew out. {The outside circles are for the alarm system later}


Okay so this is my map translated to a Crystal Grid. {Again ignore the outside for now, this step is just the inside circle.}


So you have your poles outside, and your map inside. First you need to "connect" those energies, so your map inside and your map outside are energetically the same. Yes, more visualization again, aren't you EXCITED.

1. You're going to close your eyes, hold your hands over/under your map/fence in whatever form that takes (a paper drawing only, a crystal grid, a tiny model of wooden posts on a map) and mentally see the walls of your house gone. So you're outside, holding this thing, okay?

2. You're going to "see" your map expanding, above your head/below your feet, until it's the exact size of the whole area. In your mind, "see" the map matching perfectly with the things you buried or energetic posts you put up earlier.

3. Spend some time charging this connection to be synchronized. Synchronizing will be important when you set up energtic alarms.

4. When you're ready, open your eyes. The map should be different, more charged now.

Okay, so you've showed your map that it's connected to your outside defensive points.

Now we are going to add the crossbars, and make the fense a real solid fence.

What I like to do is take a crystal point (you can use your finger, a wand, anything to direct energy) and SLOWLY and meticulously draw an energy line between each point of your map.

For those wondering, if you're working on a paper map, YES, you can use a pencil to direct this energy. So you are now playing connect the dots, clockwise, around your circle. You might feel like this is hard to do. It's because you're more or less now moving massive chunks of energy around.

If you can, visualize yourself outside again as you trace each line. "see" a wall of energy start at one point, and join the next. Push it. Feel how solid/springy/sticky it is. When you feel your visualization is really strong, go to the next one.

So:

1. Draw a line (energetically or with a pencil)

2. Visualize the outside fence getting a cross-beam.

3. Do the whole circle this way.

4. Affirm your intent: That the System will keep unsavory, malevolent, or Spirits and People and Beings wishing harm off your land. These two Energy Systems I mention are almost conscious forces. You are programming these Systems like a computer so they will work indefinitely, so you don't have to.

In this way, you're making your posts into a proper fence. As with before, you can "see" it however you want. I prefer a solid fucking wall of energy between each post (think of like a force field from the future, or if dog fences were visible things, you know?)

So once that's done, if you want to check your lines, hold your hand over the line and sense it. This will tell you if shit is in proper order. (This is why I like crystals since they hold somewhat of a charge, you know?)

If you want to "test" your fence, you can go outside and count how many paces it is until you feel weird energy shit. This can be a sudden inclination to turn back, or a weird feeling of thick or heavy air. Things like that. You can physically check the fence for weak points if you want to be very thorough, and patch them.

Also optional for a fence: I sometimes create a "ceiling" for my fence, like a giant spiderweb over the whole house/area. This is as simple as energetically attaching it to each point in your fence.

Creating an Energetic Alarm System

If you set up your astral fence, you already did 95 % of the work for this process.

I still am recommending use of a Crystal grid for this one, but again that's because I'm comfy working with those items.

So, let's start with basics. Say you don't want a fence, just a system. How do you do that?

Cue some more visualization, guys.

I still use a fencepost system for my alarm systems. So set up points in the yard/house you want to use. In this case, though, instead of making a huge impenetrable wall, you're doing the equivalent of stringing cans on a string. Things that will make noise, but aren't going to stop things going through.

I will say my Alarm systems are usually outside my fence. Depends how much space you have. If you can make a second set of fenceposts a foot or two away from your actual fence, do it. The idea is the alarm system lets you know when things are trolling around your outer fence limits, so if they get in you're not surprised.

So you make your fenceposts, and you have your map inside. If you're using both a Fence and Alarm system you can bury two items at each point if you wish. So you can utilize two maps, one for a general shield and one for an alarm system only. (If you want to bury items for an alarm system, you can actually bury noisy things, like a bell if you have one, next to the posts)

So you now have your map in front of you. "Bind it" to the outside like you did during the fence. Then, what I like to do is envision energy cords, like thick strings, going from one post to the next. Then, I envision bells hanging on the strings. So the strings are easy to get around and through, but the bells are not easy to avoid. I like a bell system because I have found using an energetically "noisy" system can alert your companion animals to an intruder. If you want, you can map the bells on your map as well. You can get fancy and put extra bells at the 4 directions if you want. It's all energetic, do whatever you can dream up.

{Map with both systems drawn, with sigils on one half, no crystals.}

Inform the System that, should any Spirit you don't personally know and accept come through the bells, let them ring strong for a long time, and alert you by any means necessary. (All my Chaos magicians, is this sort of creation of a conscious thought construct? You may have caught me, yeah.)

Once you have the map marked, you can go outside and try to feel your alarm system as well. If you have companion animals they can help you test it. If you're clairaudient or have prowess of that sort, try to "hear" that sound. You don't need to be able to hear it to use the system. The idea is the system will alert those that CAN hear it, like your Land and House and Guide Spirits, and they can alert you or take action. The alarm system can benefit everybody.

Speaking of intruders, the interesting part is your energetic alarm system might trigger for ANYBODY physical coming onto your property. So a stranger the Spirits don't know can trigger the system. Yes, this can theoretically work for unsavory individuals with mal intent as well.

What to do now/Maintaining your System

Now the fun part. Say you're chilling one day and you hear one of the bells, or a Spirit tips you off. You can check it from your map.

Using your map, sense each post/bell you marked individually. The one that is triggered will feel different, or potentially multiple bells. You can use this to judge the direction the thing is coming from, which is helpful for you.

Then, you can take your other map, the Fence one, and feel it for weak spots or points at which something might be trying to get in. Check the directional point the bells felt weird first. If you built the wall well nothing short of a powerful thing is going to get in, but say that does happen. That's what the next part is for: energetic traps and booby traps.

But first! You can check your maps on a semi-regular basis for holes or weak spots, again by tracing the lines with your hand. Look for irregularities. You can go outside and do this too, then fill them in with energy. If the walls are attacked enough, they can break down. So maintain your System.

Building energetic Booby-traps and Energy Sinks into your Wall System

So it's one thing to build yourself a giant motherfucking wall. It's another thing to make that wall more or less sentient enough to go ahead and devour shit that tries to bypass that wall.

So if you're keeping track, this is level 3 in security, behind the outer security system, and the inner wall.

So you have your wall-map in front of you right? Cool. So we're going to go over some energetic booby traps.

And it's going to sound JUST LIKE HARRY POTTER. PROCEEDING.

1. Flinging traps
What I like to call THROW SHIT FAR AWAY traps

2. Trap & Hold
What I like to call GRAB SHIT AND RESTRAIN IT TIL I CAN DEAL WITH IT LATER traps

3. Trap & Drain
What I like to call RESTRAIN AND DRAIN OF ENERGY AND DESTROY traps

So those are the three types of traps I have seen used astrally/energetically. As to what you can use to do that? Well that's the chaos magicky fun part because it doesn't matter.

Let me give you my general process for adding booby traps into my walls.

What I like to do is use sigils. So I visualize sticking a giant sigil on one of my wall-spaces.

Then, I like to create an astral room somewhere else. Let's say I create an astral room filled with nasty throny carnivorous vine plants, okay? And let's say I put that sigil on the door to that room.

And let's say I tell the sigil "if something I don't recognize and allow hits you, you are to open that door and let them make friends with my plants". Theoretically by linking the sigil to that room, I have created a simple booby trap.

So in simple terms:

1. Visualize/create an energetic room to do what you need it to. I use plants, you can use shackles or other mechanical shit. If you want it to fling shit away from your wall, why not use a catapault? Or a vacuum that sends it somewhere else? This is chaosy timey wimy shit we're talking about here, Spirits don't really operate on rules and neither do you. You harry potter the fuck out of your room, okay?

2. Visualize a sigil (in whatever form feels right to you) on the door of that room. Visualize or physically draw the same sigil on the map on your wall. "Instruct" the system to open the door to the sigil-room if things try to get through.

3. That's really all there is to it.

As to what you visualize, it depends. What are you warding against? A Deity that is persistent? A room full of shit it really hates. A particular human? Focus on scary shit if you ask me. Something very powerful that isn't going to be "destroyed"? Create a room that saps energy, and it'll leave on its own. Experiment with booby traps.

You can check them on your map the same way as other things. Simple hand sensing.

This is what the map looks like with sigils, both systems, and crystal grid in place on top of it.


So now you're thinking OKAY DUSKEN BUT WHAT IF I JUST WANT BOOBY TRAPS AT SPECIFIC PLACES AROUND MY PROPERTY AND I DON'T WANT TO BOTHER WITH A HUGE WALL AND ALARM SYSTEM SET UP? Yeah, totally fine.

Sigils and Traps for specific points in the house

A word of explanation. All of my recent sigils are mixes of astral shit. I find for warding using symbols most beings haven't seen before buys you extra time and confusion on the part of the being. So as for 'horee shit how do I make sigils', it's up to you. Anything can really work. Really.

What follows are simple house sigils you can appropriate if you want. You don't need to DRAW THESE in plain sight. You can use energy. I like to draw them on paper and stick them up, myself.



1. A sigil meant to trap shit in a box and drain it.

I used this one once before for a strong entity that wouldn't give it up. As for the trapping part, don't attempt that shit by yourself. But this sigil when applied to a box acts as a giant energy sinkhole and will usually force shit out back into the astral when it has nothing left.



2. A sigil meant to deflect from a room or surface.

This is meant to like...electrify shit. So if you touch it you're like OW WTF better not touch it again.



3. A sigil meant to trigger a web that keeps shit trapped inside the room the sigil is placed.

This is like creating a big old sticky spiderwebby gum-circle around a room.

{Sorry I didn't feel like taking more time to make sure the sigils were geometrically sound. I tend to just freehand 'em}

Those are the three main things you're going to need for basic traps.

Meant to be used for doors, windows, etc.

Okay so FINALLY THE LAST PART

House & Land Spirits Relations for Defense

In order to have a strong defense system, it's pretty important you discuss shit with your Land Spirit beforehand.

This can be as simple as sitting outside and meditating and asking to make contact, and maybe bringing a little offering of water or something to start. It can take a while to build this relationship. So proceed with caution and making sure it knows you mean no harm and only wish to honor it.

This relationship is reciprocal. It is not your pet or slave that does shit for you. Provided you can access this Spirit, you can discuss the state of the land, and you can propose an offer.

For instance, a friend of mine went on vacation and contacted the local Spirit for defense reasons while she was gone. He agreed on the premise 2 apples would be buried for him at the base of a large tree in the yard.

You can put an offer on the table, saying if you can make sure shit is okay on a day to day basis, I'll offer you energy or time or do something for you like trim your specific plant or tree or offer you specific foodstuffs.

The Spirit then can choose to accept or not. It's not your decision, and be respectful. There may be very good reasons a Spirit refuses. But provided it accepts, fulfil your end of the bargain, because not doing so is kind of douchey.

If you want there to be a time limit on your Defensive contract, say that. The friend mentioned before only wanted these services for 2 weeks, so at the end of the specified time she buried the apples and they went on their separate ways. I personally keep good relations with my land Spirit because it's good practice, even though we are currently not in a defensive agreement.

In my experience Houses tend to acquire Spirits as well.

I differentiate between House Wights/things around the house and the Spirit of the house itself.

To connect to this Spirit, same idea. Sit, meditate, probably in the hearth of your house, or where you feel like the "heart" of the house is. Ask it to contact you. Wait. Be respectful. Don't be surprised if it takes a while.

(My house spirit is maybe 6 inches tall and adorable. So she's very shy around most people.)

If you do make contact, again, you can put forth a defensive offer. Like, you tell me how shit is and maintain barriers around the house proper, and I'll clean out the fireplace regularly. Or I'll dust that spot I never dust. Things houses like.

Be respectful if the deal is made and keep up your end of the bargain. You don't want a bad rep in terms of spirit deals, trust me. Discernment, as always, applies to Spirit things.

And before you ask, yes you can ask Deities and Guides to patrol for you too. But that's between you and them :)

Related Posts {The Spirits 101 Series}:

1. Spirits 101: Consent for Spirit Walkers
2. Spirits 101: Victim Shaming, YOUR consent & Spirit Walking
3. Spirits 101: Land Spirits & Forest Walking
4. Vocabulary for Spirit-Walkers
5. Discernment

10 comments:

  1. Yes, people always forget about the mirrors.
    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I do 'house calls' for hauntings the first shit I check is the mirrors. 9 times out of 10 they're completely fucked. Gotta seal your mirrors people.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post as always. That said, I have a me-centric comment/ridiculous confession:

    I have almost never been able to look in a mirror at night since I was a young kid, when a peer told me the Bloody Mary story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a good fucking reason for that. Mirrors are giant Otherworld portals. (It's said to trap a Spirit you face two mirrors toward each other to form an infinite loop)

      I personally never wanted to look into the window glass of my Hurricane door in the basement. I felt like shit was watching me from there. So one day when I was a more experienced Spirit Walker I went to investigate. I placed my hand on the glass and "talked" to the Spirit. It was like a deer-headed skeletal dog figure, and it was super angry. I did a lot of Magical shit as a shit, and forgot a lot of it. Apparently once I asked the Spirits for a friend to play with, and it send me Skeleton Dog. But I forgot about it and so it had been trapped in the glass for however many years, and was mad. (Spirits are easily trapped in glass as a portal.) So I apologized and released it, and the weird watched feeling and uncomfortable feelings went with it.

      Delete
    2. did a lot of magical shit as a KID*

      Delete
    3. Hmm, I may have to investigate and/or ward the huge one hanging over the bathroom sink...

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was inspired by this post to do some mirror (and window) warding; my post is here:

    http://hagtesse.blogspot.com/2012/11/mirror-work.html

    Thanks for this really excellent article; it's a really good reference.

    ReplyDelete